A garage door is a crucial component of any home, providing security and ease of access. It’s essential to keep your garage door in proper working condition to ensure its functionality and longevity. One of the most critical parts of a garage door is its spring. A broken garage door spring can cause significant problems and hazards, making it necessary to know how to detect a broken garage door spring. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll discuss the do's and don'ts of detecting a broken garage door spring.
Do's of Detecting a Broken Garage Door Spring:
- Listen for Unusual Noises: A garage door spring is responsible for lifting the weight of your garage door. When it breaks, the door may make unusual sounds. If you hear a loud bang, snap or pop when opening or closing your garage door, it's likely that the spring has broken. Listen carefully for any unusual noises when operating the door.
- Check the Door's Balance: A garage door in good condition should be balanced, and you can quickly test this by disconnecting the automatic opener and opening the door manually. When the door is halfway open, it should stay in place without any assistance. If the door falls or rises unevenly, it's likely that the spring is broken or about to break. Call a professional, such as ABC Garage Door Repair, to conduct garage door spring repair in Arlington.
- Look for Visible Damage: A broken garage door spring may cause visible damage, such as the spring being stretched out of shape, twisted or sagging. If you see any damage, it's a clear indication that you need to replace the spring.
- Examine the Length of the Spring: Garage door springs come in different lengths based on the door's size and weight. When inspecting your garage door spring, make sure it’s the correct length for your door. If you're unsure, it's better to contact a professional for assistance.
Don'ts of Detecting a Broken Garage Door Spring:
- Attempt to Open or Close the Door Manually: If you suspect that your garage door spring is broken, don't try to operate the door manually. The door may be too heavy to lift or may suddenly fall, causing injury or damage to your vehicle or property. Instead, disconnect the automatic opener and leave the door as it is until a professional can perform garage door spring repair in Arlington.
- Ignore the Problem: Ignoring a broken garage door spring is not an option. A broken spring can cause the door to be unbalanced, leading to further damage to your garage door or opener. Additionally, it poses a significant safety hazard as the door could suddenly fall and cause injury to people or pets or damage to your property.
- Attempt to Fix the Spring Yourself: Garage door springs are under extreme tension and require specialized tools and knowledge to repair or replace. Attempting to fix the spring yourself can lead to severe injury or damage to your property. Instead, call a professional like ABC Garage Door Repair to conduct garage door spring repair in Arlington.
- Choose a Cheap Fix: Choosing a cheap fix for a broken garage door spring is a recipe for disaster. Poor-quality springs may break again soon, and using low-quality parts can lead to more significant problems down the line. Always choose a reputable and experienced garage door repair company like ABC Garage Door Repair to ensure quality repairs that will last.
Identifying a broken garage door spring demands attentive scrutiny and adequate expertise. Adhere to the guidelines outlined above, and seek the assistance of a qualified specialist for garage door spring repair in Arlington. ABC Garage Door Repair delivers trustworthy and reasonablypriced garage door spring repair solutions in Arlington and neighboring regions. Contact us now to obtain a complimentary estimate!